Sunday, September 1, 2013

I Hate Uncertainty

Since Sean's incident where I administered the Epipen, he has done well.  He took a 3-day course of a steroid, then began daily Zyrtec.  There hasn't been any sign of a problem until today.  Six to seven hours after his dose of peanut, he had a rash pop up on his face around his mouth and chin.  All I have is a poor cell phone picture, but I think you can see it well enough to get the idea.  We did have lunch at Panera Bread a couple hours before the rash popped up, which we have done several times in the past without problem.  I'm not sure if he may have been exposed to something different this time, or not.  He also has been incredibly nasal today.  He just sounds like his sinuses are congested, but not really producing mucus.  Just to the point that it sounds really stuffy when he tries to breathe through his nose.  So I'm not sure if he's just experiencing some extra seasonal allergies or what.  I texted the picture to Dr. M., but he was in an area without data service, so he couldn't look at the picture and said he would be able to see it in a few hours.  We waited around an hour later than his usual dose time in hopes that Dr. M. would respond with some wisdom, but he didn't respond yet, so we just dosed as normal.  It has been about 30 minutes now, and so far, he's doing okay.  But last time he had a serious reaction, it was almost two hours after his dose!  So of course I won't rest easy for a couple more hours.  Why must this entire process be so terribly nerve-wrecking?  As of now, we're set to visit Dr. M. on Thursday for his next dose increase.  I really hope nothing happens between now and then.  We've already been on this dose for nearly a month, thanks to the other reaction.  Don't get me wrong, I am in NO hurry to finish the treatment and I want to take our time and go as slowly as possible.  It's just discouraging to be having so many problems already.  I feel like I need a long, long stretch of time with no reactions to make me feel more confident that this is the best decision for Sean.  

Reaction?

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this experience! As a mother to a five year old with a severe nut allergy, it is nice to keep updated with Sean and his progress. Your postings have made me cry and laugh.
    My son started kindergarten this year and I am a nervous wreck, worrying that he will eat a friends lunch (even though we have repeatedly told him to only eat his lunch and snacks which we have provided). His school was very accommodating and understanding, allowing me take in 3 Epi-Pens (one in the lunch room) for him and sent a letter to all the teachers who will have contact with him. But there is still that nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach that will not go away while he is at school. I have a lot of the same emotions in which you have stated. I worry that he will be teased and bullied for having such an allergy that will prevent him with sitting with the rest of his friends on peanut butter and jelly day during lunch.
    Your posts have actually inspired my husband and I to talk to his allergist about possibly starting OIT.
    Keep up the posts and great work. What you are doing for Sean is remarkable. We only want the best for our children!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words! It is great to know that Sean's OIT journey is already touching someone's life in a positive way. Best of luck to you and your son for an uneventful year of kindergarten. Sean just started preschool yesterday, so I certainly understand your worries and fears!!

      Delete

As you post a comment, please keep in mind that I wish to keep this Nutty Little Blog a positive place of support for others who are going through OIT, as well as a place of hope and inspiration for those who are considering OIT or otherwise living with food allergies. Thank you!